Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spiritual Gifts! What's Your's

Did you know God gives each one of us a unique gift? Until 3 years ago, I did not know that at all. Frankly, there was so much about God I did not know and still so much more to discern. The things I knew were merely people, places and things. I did not know God let alone realize He has given each of us a unique gift. I learned about spiritual gifts through a mentor, and friend. I sought his council because I did not understand the things happening in my heart. God was calling me into His service but I had no idea where and why. I have felt that tugging at my heart strings for about 18 years now. I ran from it as fast as you could run from something. I felt inadequate, fearful, and selfish. I thought I can't do this. I thought serving God meant not having fun. Boy, was I wrong. I realize now I have been wrong about more things than I have been right. The bottom line was I did not want to give up my carnal lifestyle. I wanted to do what I want when I want. I was very selfish when it came to the needs of others. I always received satisfaction from helping others but I seemed to have ulterior motives. I mean to say that my motives were not pure. It wasn't about them as much as it was about look at what I am doing. The enemy had me convinced this was the right attitude. My subconscious mind would agree that I needed and loved to help people but, I would gripe, complain, and be critical of their needs. I have lived 30 plus years doing things my way. I realized it wasn't about me but it is about HIM. I knew something had to give. I repaired my relationship with God first. I prayed for forgiveness for the way I lived my life, and repented of my sins. I then started the journey of learning everything I can about Christ, and what He has given me. Once I discovered my gift of encouragement I wanted to use it right away. But those Ol' familiar feelings of fear, and doubt prohibited me from getting started. I did not know how to get started. All I knew was it was time for me to use my gift in the King's service. Time for me to use my gift of encouragement regardless if anyone ever said thanks Alan or read this blog. So, I started this blog as means of being faithful and obedient. Paul tells us in First Corinthians 12:4-7 "Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different ministries, but the same Lord. And there are different activities, but the same God is active in everyone and everything. A manifestation of the Spirit is given to each person to produce what is beneficial" Holman Translation. Let me encourage each one of you to take a few minutes and discover what your unique gift is. You will be surprised. I took two different tests to validate my findings. You can google spiritual gifts and several sites will come up with links to taking the assessment. You could also go to www.bellevue.org and take that assessment. Regardless where you go, please take it. Change your life now by uncovering and using what God has blessed you with. Remember, Its all about Him and not about us.

Until Next Time....

God Bless You!!

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment